School Nurse Substitutes
Requirements to become a substitute school nurse:
1. Obtain an application packet from the Silsbee ISD Administration Office which includes and/or requires the following forms.
- Completed Application Form
- Official high school transcript, GED certificate, or college transcript
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of driver’s license
- Completed W4 Form
- Completed MidAmerica Retirement Form
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Be sure to list credentials and dates of expiration for both lists "B" and "C".)
- Criminal History Search Consent Form
2. Return your completed packet to the Silsbee ISD Administration Office and follow the instructions provided to be fingerprinted.
- Call and schedule appointment at the fingerprinting facility in Beaumont.
- Report to the facility at your scheduled appointment time.
- Pay fee (approximately $50.00) at the fingerprinting facility.
- Provide fingerprinting receipt to the Silsbee ISD Administration Office as evidence that your fingerprint report returned clear.
3. Observe a minimum of 2 hours in the nurse’s office at two of the Silsbee schools (4 hours total). You may choose the schools where you would like to observe.
- Obtain a Volunteer Verification Form from the Silsbee ISD Administration Office.
- Contact the Health Services Coordinator, Michelle Hardy, RN, to schedule a date(s) and time(s) for the observations.
- Report to the campus nurse on the scheduled date and obtain her signature as verification of observation hours.
- Return the signed form to Silsbee ISD Administration Office.
4. Attend the Aesop training class at the Silsbee ISD Administration Office to be oriented regarding the district’s system for contacting and placing substitutes.
- Classes are held periodically after several applicants have completed the fingerprinting process.
- You will be contacted with the date and time of the next class by the Silsbee ISD Administration Office.
- The AESOP training class may occur before or after you have completed your required observation hours.
- During the Aesop training class you will be provided with your user name and password for accessing the Aesop system.
- Contingent upon completed application and records submitted, qualified applicants’ names will be reviewed by the superintendent and placed on the board agenda for approval at the next regular monthly board meeting. Regular board meetings are scheduled for the second Tuesday of each month.
Substitute School Nurse Pay
The school nurses at each of the five campuses are registered nurses and licensed vocational nurse. The high school campus employs a licensed vocational nurse in addition to a registered nurse.
- You may substitute for a registered nurse even if you are a licensed vocational nurse.
- You may substitute for a licensed vocational nurse even if you are a registered nurse.
- The pay for substituting for a registered nurse is $75.00 per day.
- The pay for substituting for a licensed vocational nurse is $55.00 per day.
- The school day begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 3:20 p.m.
- The pay for substituting for a half day, morning or afternoon, is half of the full day pay for that position.
Silsbee ISD would like to hire additional school nurse substitutes. If you or someone you know is a registered nurse or a licensed vocational nurse and would like to serve the students of our district as well as earn some supplemental income, we invite you to call or email for details. Contact the Silsbee ISD Health Services Coordinator, Michelle Hardy, RN, at 409-980-7800 x 6050, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.