Bad Weather Procedures
When inclement weather is a possibility, Silsbee ISD officials monitor weather conditions during the overnight and early morning hours. The district takes several factors into consideration before making a decision to cancel school, delay school, or dismiss school early due to inclement weather. The health and safety of our students and staff is primary to these considerations.
Cancellations, Delays, and Early Releases – How Decisions are Made
When inclement weather threatens normal school operations, the following steps are taken:
- The district's Director of Transportation leads a team that evaluates the roadways and travel conditions across the district.
- The Superintendent consults with SISD transportation staff and has access to information from emergency management officials, meteorologists, the highway department, and the sheriff's department.
- After taking into account all the information that is received from internal and external sources, the Superintendent will make a decision as early as possible whether to delay or cancel school.
The Communication Process – What Happens Next
When a decision is made to cancel school, delay school, or dismiss school early, the district will notify parents using the Blackboard mass notification system and the Silsbee ISD website will be updated as quickly as possible.
Information about school closures, delays, or early dismissal also will be communicated through the following media, including but not limited to:
- Blackboard (email, phone, text messaging)
- Social Media – Facebook and Twitter @SilsbeeISD
- Local Media outlets including radio, TV, and print/online newspapers
Information related to rescheduled events or canceled events will also be posted online and social media.
Because of the uncertainty of weather conditions, we ask parents and staff to monitor email, the Silsbee ISD website, social media and local media before heading to school or sending children to the bus stop.
NOTE: No weather announcement from Silsbee ISD means classes will be held on a normal schedule.